Success installing ubuntu on laptop 9:04 my favorite, opened my eyes that turns a linux laptop axioo still paired with TVW, which according to some forums and blogs that I had read, not linux friendly because SIS 671 chipset embedded in it. Although they had a little sweat and wince linux distro that can walk on this laptop, I finally get to taste some linux distro to find suitable Linux distro for beginners like me and are clear, according to my needs.
Linux distro I can try to date is: 9:04 Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Mandriva 2009, LinuxMint 7, LinuxMint 7 RC1 KDE, PCLinuxOS 2009.2, and Fedora 11. Rather greedy indeed, but for the sake of my curiosity a little treat for the fat penguin, what's the harm? hehehe ..
Here are a few ways to overcome blank screen when booting linux that I use when trying on linux distro. Basically the same way, ie by adding additional parameters to the boot option.
- Ubuntu and Kubuntu. Boot option needs to be added is noapic and nolapic.
- Linuxmint 7 and LinuxMint 7 KDE, because it is a derivative of Ubuntu, the parameters used are still the same, ie noapic and nolapic.
- Fedora 11. Boot option that needs to be added ie noapic, nolapic, acpi = off or acpi = ht vga = 788 and
- Mandriva. Boot option that needs to be added: noapic and nolapic
- PCLinuxOS. Although a derivative of Mandriva, apparently in addition to the added noapic and nolapic, it needs to be supplemented with acpi = off or acpi = ht.
Which could make the groggy head and stuck UTEK is Mandriva. Booting process stopped in the middle of the road, blank screen again. After reading each read here, even to forget to read where kekekek .. also finally see the light point. To overcome the blank screen mandriva 2009, press alt + F2. After the login prompt appears. It turns out, VGA SIS detected is not supported by existing drivers, so it should relented in advance, using the vesa driver.
To change the driver to vesa, it must first be logged in as root and run drakx11. Then I type root and enter root @ localhost so it appears. Type drakx11 so a dialog to select the VGA driver that would be used. Select the resolution you want to use and then try to test, whether the configuration of the road. After trial and error, as it turns out I had to settle for Xorg driver | Vesa.
To continue the boot process, type the service-f dm. Look pretty mandriva 2009 finally appeared on the screen and even then lepi
Which is heartening news is, the latest update mandriva, mandriva already provides SIS 671 VGA driver suitable for my leptop, so for the next version, hopefully I do not need to taste mandriva serepot now. hehehe ..
And apparently, the driver also has integrated VGA PCLinuxOS 2009.2 because I was not too problematic when trying this distro.
After trial and error, I finally fell in love with ubuntu mint flavor, LinuxMint.
As a derivative of ubuntu, linuxmint have inherited the facility and ease of ubuntu. In addition, there are some that really helped me ease, such as:
- Support for multimedia files that we often use, so we do not have to bother downloading mp3 codex, for example. This is very helpful, especially for users who do not have internet connection.
- Already installed nautilus. One of the interesting script that I think is open as root. This script is very helpful when editing existing files postscript file system must be edited using the root account. Simply right-click the folder you want to edit, then click open as root, then this folder will open and we can mess like we login as root.
- A fresh look and similar to the windows, so that the smooth transition from windows to linux.
And many more other facilities that have not yet dared me know and I write for fear of being wrong hehehe .. understand, I am still a novice user .. so please share your thoughts in the comment box. Nuwun mature.